David W. Wright, MD
Georgia Institute of Technology Department of Biomedical Engineering
Emergency Neurosciences Section, Department of Emergency Medicine
Department of Emergency Medicine
49 Jesse Hill Jr Dr
Atlanta, GA 30303
David Wright, MD, is a professor of emergency medicine, interim chair of the Emergency Medicine Department, and director, Emergency Neurosciences, Department of Emergency Medicine at Emory University School of Medicine. He joined the Emory University School of Medicine faculty in 1997. He received his MD at University of Alabama School of Medicine and completed his emergency medicine residency at University of Cincinnati.
Dr. Wright is actively involved in both the preclinical and clinical assessment of traumatic brain injury (TBI) and stroke. He is Principal Investigator (PI) of the NIH funded multicenter Phase III clinical trial, ProTECT™ (Progesterone for TBI, experimental clinical treatment) and serves as PI of the Emory hub for the NIH Neurological Emergencies Treatment Trials Network and Co-PI of the Emory hub for the new NIH Stroke Network.
Another one of Dr. Wright’s goals is to transform healthcare through the development of advanced technologies, especially for neurological diseases. He is an adjunct faculty in the Department of Biomedical Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology and works closely with an elite team of engineers at the Georgia Tech Research Institute where he participates in numerous concussion research and technology development endeavors. He is currently one of the top 3 NIH funded emergency medicine researchers in the United States.
Dr. Wright is the recipient of the following awards:
- Investigator Abstract and Presentation Award, Society for Academic Emergency Medicine 2000
- Fellow Status in the American College of Emergency Physicians-FACEP 2000
- Society for Academic Emergency Medicine Young Investigator Award 2001
- Healthcare Hero Award, Healthcare Innovations, Atlanta Business Chronicle 2008
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society Membership – 2011
- Society for Academic Emergency Medicine (SAEM) Research Fellowship Program – 2011
- Finalist for Atlanta Magazine Groundbreakers Award – Nov. 2013
- Woodruff Leadership Academy Class of 2015.
Dr. Wright is a member of the Brain Injury Association (BIA) - National and Georgia Chapter, National Neurotrauma Society (NNS), American Medical Association (AMA), Society for Academic Emergency Medicine (SAEM), (Program Committee Member – 2004), and American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) - National and Georgia Chapters.
- Medical School, University of Alabama School of Medicine, Birmingham, AL
- Internship, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
- Residency, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
American Board of Emergency Medicine (Board certified since 1998)
- View publications on PubMed
Neurological Emergencies, Traumatic Brain Injury, Concussions, Sports Concussions, Injury Prevention, Stroke, and medical technology development.